Paying for Radon Repairs

To help pay for mitigation, the EPA recommends consumers consider the 203(k) Mortgage Insurance Program under the Housing and Urban Development Department. The program allows home buyers to finance the purchase and repair or improvement of a home using a single mortgage loan. Reducing radon levels is an allowed improvement, but the total cost of all eligible repairs and improvements must be at least $5,000.

Homes eligible for 203(k) include one to four-family dwellings that have been completed for at least one year; dwellings that have been demolished, provided that some of the existing foundation remains; and conversions of one-family dwellings into two-, three- or four-family dwellings or of multifamily dwellings into a one- to four-family unit.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

This article reprinted courtesy of the Washington Post
Additional articles: